Learn more about the impact our work has in Red Deer and Central Alberta.
Every door opens a new opportunity
Every donor and volunteer involved in a cause deserves to know how their contributions are making an impact. Are your efforts really making a difference?
At Habitat Red Deer, the answer is YES! A donation of $50 buys a box of nails to help construct a new home. Donating your gently used couch to our ReStore helps support our volunteer and family programs - and keeps unwanted items out of landfills. Volunteering your time at one of our home builds ensures a family will have a safe and decent place to live one day. Contributing your expertise on our board or committees provides valuable leadership to sustain successful operations. There are countless ways to make a very real impact - even with the smallest acts of giving.
On a bigger scale, we know the Habitat home ownership model works. In 2015, The Boston Consulting Group conducted a study called, "Transforming Lives: The Social Return on Habitat's Work in Canada." The study revealed how we make an impact on families and communities:
- EVERY dollar spent yields a $4 return in societal benefits
- Habitat generates $175,000 of benefits to society for every family served
- Habitat affiliates across Canada built 249 homes in 2017
- Increased employment stability: Habitat families have more stable employment and a stronger increase in family income
- Reduction in the use of food banks & social services: Habitat families reduced their usage of food banks by 60%
- Improved health behaviors: Habitat families lowered their incidence of smoking and other harmful behaviours
- Great engagement in the community: Habitat families had higher participation in community and volunteer work
- Better education attainment: Children of Habitat families experience lower drop-out rates and higher levels of education.